Saturday, September 6, 2008

Meeting the Icon Roddy Piper

In January of 2005, I got to meet Rowdy Roddy Piper! I have been a fan of Roddy Piper for a long time. He truly is a larger than life character.
It all started because of Newspaper In Education (NIE), a literacy program I ran while at Lerner Newspapers. Piper agreed to appear in a series of ads promoting our NIE program. I also got to interview Piper for an article I wrote and made the trip to St. Petersburg, FL to meet with
him.
None of it would have been possible without Laurie and her encouragement. Laurie showed me all of the possibilities I had after Piper gave me the opening. She was the only Editor who saw the merit of the article, which turned out better than I could have imagined.


Rowdy Roddy Piper and John Wroblewski in St. Peterburg, FL-Jan. 2005.
The Rowdy One, in the ring, where he is most comfortable, in St. Petersburg, FL, Jan 2005.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

who took the shots. they're awesome

Anonymous said...

PPiper does know how to captivate an audience. He has natural charisma.

Johngy said...

Yes, agreed, great photographer.

Johngy said...

Flyin' Brian Fan-Brian was pretty charismatic, too. You must be enjoying his son's work now.