Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Ice Time

It's getting really cold in Chicago. That means it is time to turn to hockey, especially with the Bears struggling.
The Sutter family might be considered the first family of hockey. The 6 Sutter brothers hold the record for most brothers in hockey. Brent, Brian, Darryl, Duane, Rich and Ron played almost 5,000 NHL games combined from 1976 to 2001. All, except Ron, spent some time playing or coaching for the Blackhawks.
Over the years, I put together a nice 6 puck collection, each Sutter signing one. When I got older brother Gary and mom Grace, I thought I was finished.
Then a second generation of Sutters started appearing. Shaun (Brian's son), Brett (Darryl's son) and Brandon (Duane's son) all were drafted and started playing pro hockey. I wrote to their WHL teams and they graciously signed pucks for me. Merrick (Brent's son) presented a problem though. He played some junior hockey, but apparently did not go further. Getting him to sign a puck became the challange.
I finally located Sutter playing for the Red Deer Jets, a rec league team based in Alberta (Canada). The Jets pay homage to the old Winnipeg Jets (now the Phoenix Coyotes).
I emailed the GM Joe Whitbread (who doubles as a Center). Whitbread and Sutter put together a package for me, including a signed puck, picture and a COA (Certificate of Authenticity).
So while I have never met Sutter, I had to highlight this story. Whitbread, Sutter and the rest of the Jets found some humor in this and they responded with good humor...and I continued my Sutter puck collecting!
Merrick Sutter signing a puck for Johngy-mid 00's.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What is the story on gary Sutter? Did he play any hockey?