Monday, December 8, 2008

Friendly Encounters

This is another in a series of meetings of my friends and celebs.

In January of 2005, Laurie and I went to the Wrestling Reunion in Tampa, FL. I was excited because I was going to meet many of my wrestling favorites from my younger days. I was also excited because I knew it was going to be extra interesting with Laurie being involved in all of this.
Pre-Johngy, Laurie was not a wrestling fan. I think she was more ambivalent. I had exposed her to some bits of wrestling, like Roddy Piper and Mick Foley. I knew she would stand out from the crowd. Let's face it, most of the attendees were guys like me. An attractive woman like Laurie would surely be noticed. Her open mind, her growing knowledge and her natural inquisitiveness made her a lightning rod for some of the most fascinating moments I have every witnessed.
I was talking to Hacksaw Jim Duggan, when Laurie walked up to rejoin me. Duggan immediately noticed her and let out his trademark booming "Heeeeyyyyyyyyy". The look on Laurie's face was priceless.
Intrigue? Curiosity? Entertainment? Perhaps even trepidation? I think it was a combination of all of that and more. This moment has become one of our long-running jokes. There are others from this weekend that will appear here in the future.
I really have to give Laurie credit though. She eagerly went along with me on a 3 day wrestling fantasy trip. Clearly this wasn't her hand-picked activity, yet she was more than a trooper. She got into it and I believe she came out of it with some great memories, laughs, stories and a bit of an appreciation for wrestling and the wrestlers.
Hacksaw Jim Duggan and Laurie in Tampa, FL-January 2005.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He was a very cool guy -- especially during the match. I loved how he was Hacksaw one moment and Jim the next.

Johngy said...

Now that is just one example of your unique insight. I never noticed that until you pointed it out.