Monday, March 30, 2009

Friendly Encounters

This is another in a series of meetings of my friends and celebs.

In January of 2005, Laurie and I were in Tampa (FL) for the Wrestling Reunion. I was going down there to meet a bunch of wrestlers, but
especially Roddy Piper and Lanny Poffo. I knew going with Laurie would be a lot of fun. I even thought she would find some interest in the whole wrestling scene, despite not being a wrestling fan. However, even I did not imagine just how incredible this trip would be.
Laurie had read In the Pit with Piper (by Roddy Piper) and Tietam Brown (by Mick Foley). She had hoped to be able to talk to each about those books. In her usual unassuming way, Laurie doubted either would pay her much more attention than that given to the average fan. I predicted that she would stand out among the crowd and each would take notice.
When we met Foley, Laurie started to talk to him about her writing career and her take on Tietam Brown. Foley (who was probably surprised to see a female at this event, let alone one who had writing credentials and who read his book) immediately became engrossed in their conversation.
This wasn't the typical fan talk about his greatest match.
This was a real conversation which lasted several minutes, much to the dismay of several fans behind us who simply got a signed photo as Foley continued talking to Laurie.
For me, this was one of the more surreal moments I have ever witnessed. Laurie and I had discussed Foley and Tietam Brown several times. We had also theorized on how their potential conversation would go, but seeing it actually happen was just unreal.
They discussed themes and styles. They talked about the possibility of a movie based on the book (a chat that Laurie would continue with Terry Funk). All the while, I stood there just enjoying the scene.
Mick Foley and Laurie in Tampa, FL-January 2005.

No comments: