Thursday, April 2, 2009

Dusty Rhodes Flirts; Mick Foley Cares

As previously mentioned, I had a blast at Wrestle Reunion. I pretty much figured I would enjoy it. I also knew I would really enjoy watching Laurie at the event. However, I admit, I underestimated how much fun Laurie would have and how much interaction she would have with the wrestlers.
Two of the funniest events came from the question-answer session with 4 of the legends. Terry Funk, Mick Foley, Dusty Rhodes and Kevin Von Erich were on stage together, answering questions from the audience.
During the session, Laurie snapped a few pictures of the guest panel. She did nothing intrusive or distracting, but she did catch Dusty's eye. He gave her a smile and a little finger wave (which only Dusty could pull off and still look manly). I couldn't believe what I just saw. Big Dust just tried playful flirting in the middle of the session on stage.
After that session, when the wrestlers were at their signing tables, Foley waved over Laurie. He asked her if she was okay, stating he thought he saw her crying. Laurie said she was fine, but he asked again. Laurie assured him that all was right and thanked him for his concern.
Of course, my response to both of these events was laughter quickly followed by my stating that I knew she would make an impression on the wrestlers. However, I do admit that maybe I might have underestimated her involvement.
Laurie's genuine interest and thirst for knowledge coupled with her ability to really reach these wrestlers on a unique level made her stand out. Add to all of her qualities the fact that the rest of the crowd was 99% male diehard wrestling fans. Not only was Laurie a refreshing change of pace for each wrestler, she asked intelligent and different questions which usually looked into the man behind the gimmick.
Terry Funk, Mick Foley, Dusty Rhodes and Kevin Von Erich in Tampa, FL-January 2005.

No comments: