Monday, May 4, 2009

Friendly Encounters

This is another in a series of meetings of my friends and celebs.

As I have recently written, I will be covering the Motor City Comic Con for Global Traveler magazine's blogs. Over the last week or so, I have received a great deal of help and information from Valerie Schendel, the Press Liason for the MCCC.
I knew that Valerie would have plenty of great pictures and stories from her years with the MCCC. The MCCC is always so large and full of celebrities and artists, there really is something for everyone.
The best example of this is a story that Valerie shared with me. In her own words:
I can tell you though my kids have thoroughly enjoyed attending the show over the years. They have quite literally grown up attending Motor City Comic Cons!!! Being a mom that has a wee bit of clout has it's perks. When my husband and I adopted a 10 year old girl from an orphanage in Kazakhstan, she had little to no idea who many of the 'stars' were that were there in 2004. BUT .... she knew Herbie!!!
Valerie's daughter Marina was very excited about Herbie, but Valerie states that her son Brian has the best story. Again, I'll let Valerie tell the story:
I, of course, was on staff and knew most of the Star Wars guys. However one of Brian's friends came to the convention and "Boba Fett" walked by and said Hi Val how ya doing? Then said hello to Brian as well and shook Brians' hand and small talked a bit with him. Brian's friend practically fainted - and the next day in school Brian was a big hit --- "Brians' Mom knows Boba Fett!!"
Valerie and her family are just one example of how MCCC has something for everyone. There aren't too many places where everyone in a family can have a great time. The MCCC is one such place, an event where everyone will have plenty of fun.
Valerie Schendel, Brian Schornberg, Billy Dee Williams and Quentin Rollins at the Motor City Comic Con in Novi, MI-May 1999.

1 comment:

LA Tom said...

Now those are some cute photos. Plus, it's always a nice change of pace from just seeing you (kidding).