Tuesday, August 25, 2009

#17 Jim Gantner

About a week ago, I posted a photo of Gorman Thomas, Larry Bowa and Jimmy Gantner. All three of these players were among my favorites in my youth. I have had the pleasure of interviewing all three as well. Below is a quick couple of questions with Gantner.
I asked Gantner about his favorite city to visit. I followed that by asking him about possibly having his number retired by the Brewers.
Gantner had an interesting career. He played parts of 17 seasons, all with the Brewers. As I noted last time, Gantner, Molitor and Yount hold the record for most games played together by 3 teammates. He ranks in the top 5 of most offensive career statistics for the Brewers.
Despite all of this, Gantner will never have his number retired. He had a very nice career and I would happily take him on either Chicago team any time, but he sort of remains an anomaly.
There aren't many players in the modern era who have played as long with only one team, who aren't in the Hall of Fame (or reasonably close).
Frank White was a similar, although slightly better player in the 70's and 80's. I cannot think of a current player who is similar. It is an unusual but impressive, accomplishment.

No comments: