Tuesday, September 1, 2009

My Cousin Ernie:Part 1

My immediate family is fairly close. It is beyond that where things start to unravel a bit. A few months ago, one of my cousins contacted my sisters and me in an effort to change the course a bit.
Ernie is my first cousin's first son. I am about 9 years older than him. As kids, we all used to hang out together at my grandmother's house. Ernie's father taught me to play chess when I was about 11.
The elders in our family had their share of problems and issues. Somehow, we all drifted apart. Truthfully and unfortunately, I have had very little contact with him for over 20 years.
Since Ernie contacted us, I have started learning about the 'missing years'. For instance, I knew Ernie went to Mt. Carmel High School
(my alma mater), but I did not know he was in a movie while he was there.
The motion picture Rudy was the first movie to be filmed on the Notre Dame campus since Knute Rockne, All American in 1942. The film was also shot at other locations, one of which was Mt. Carmel on Chicago's southside.
Ernie appeared in the movie and can be seen in the clip below. When the camera angle changes to face Sean Astin (as Rudy), Ernie is completely visible right there behind him.
I think that is pretty cool. Being in any movie would be awesome. Being in one of the greatest sports movies of all time makes it that much better.
Oh and by the way, today is Ernie's birthday. Happy Birthday, Ernie!!!!

My cousin Ernie's scene from Rudy.

No comments: