Tuesday, February 21, 2012

On the Beat with John Wroblewski

The historic first meeting between John Wroblewski (hockey player turned coach) and John Wroblewski (me) finally took place.  We recently met after John's Gwinnett Gladiators beat the Chicago Express in an exciting ECHL hockey game.
One of John's friends saw my original post about him and notified him.  John emailed me, which started a bit of an email exchange between us.  Then to my surprise, John sent a signed jersey of his from the Fresno Falcons.  That was extremely nice, of him to do.  How cool was that?!
He also told me that since Chicago would be having a new team in the ECHL in 2012, he would be coming to Chicago and we could meet at a game.  I had a schedule conflict and missed the first game, but I was not going to miss the next one.
Matt and I went to the game and just missed meeting John before the game.  After the big win, John met us near the locker room and talked to us for several minutes.  It was great to finally meet the "other" John Wroblewski.
I would like to thank John for his time and willingness.  I know he had some family at the game, as well as friends.  He gave us some time and a great memory.  Hopefully, we will see him again at a game in the future (maybe even when he is coaching in the NHL!).
I would also like to thank Director of Media Relations Bob Mills and the entire Chicago Express organization for their hospitality and cooperation in facilitating this meeting.

1 comment:

Jean Parker said...

That is super cool! When we were younger, we never heard of anyone with our last name ... now I see it more and more; and to meet someone with the same first name as well ... Good luck to both John's!